Saturday, April 29, 2006

Aiko, kushin

There were some debates about the definition of "Aikokushin(patriotism)" in Japanese textbooks a while ago.

Seems like it's hard to define it because of historical backgrounds, political issues and such that are involved~.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to let kids define their own "Aikokushin"??
It could also be interesting to hear the opinions of student people, but I wanna see what comes out of little kids' heads~!


There was this assembly of the whole school and teachers every week, when I was in the elementary school in NY. It's something like the morning assembly in Japanese schools, I guess?

A big American flag was on the gym stage and it started like this: we all stood up putting our right hand on our heart and recited this sentence, "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. Bla bla bla . . . " and then

('-' ). . .

Huh?? Mmm?? I can't remember what was done after that?!

I have this feeling that every time we sat for like half an hour and saw or heard this or that . . . Wonder what it was. Was it something like school's news or events? (' - ' )

Hmm. Or perhaps it's natural that I don't remember anything since I was a little kid. (-_-;)
What I remember very well, is that I was sitting on the blue gym mat thinking "This is dull, when will this be over~?" or "My legs are asleep~, Aww I need to go to the rest room"! (lol)

Nevertheless, I clearly remember that we recited that sentence together, putting our hand over our heart and looking up at the American flag lit up by the light.

.:*:.(*'-')
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and..."

Uh-oh, I don't remember the last half of it(lol)

The feeling implanted in childhood: it remains forever in your heart. Even if it may not remain, the memory lasts a lifetime!

When I was a child I had the habit of pledging allegiance to America('s flag) in a group, and I've never done that kind of thing to Japan. But that doesn't mean that I feel so much for America, or that, for example, I wouldn't go pro-American if Japan and America should go to war and conflict with each other . . . that said, I think I've considered myself as an American early.

Oops, I'm Japanese! Gotta learn more about Japan! - it wasn't until much, much later that I became aware of those sorts of things!

I watched the news and thought how I would define "Aikokushin," but it's pretty hard to get it straight.

I do wanna know kindergarteners' and elementary students' definitions!


********************
(NOTE by Nuuk)
"Aikokushin" means "patriotism" as one word; if separated like "Aiko" and "kushin," "Aiko" can be a Japanese female name and "kushin" means "struggle."